Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Mac n Cheese Lesson

Today my mother in law, Mary, has crossed my mind a lot. She was a sweet person. She always believed the best in people and didn't seem to remember past problems with anyone. She would hug anyone no matter who they were. She always took the time to teach me, mainly how to cook, and she supported my hobby of quilting and tried to help me develop a green thumb (key word here is TRIED- I never did catch on and still can't keep live plants for very long).
 I remember the first time she came to our house for supper after DH and I were married. She was a little early, or I could have been late ;), and I was in the middle of still preparing the meal. One of the sides was Mac n cheese. I started the water and set the BOX on the counter. She looked at me and asked what that was. Now, at this point I was thinking, "ALRIGHT! She doesn't know what Mac n cheese is. Now I can teach her something." Well.... She taught me something... again. When I replied it was Mac n cheese she told me that wasn't Mac n cheese then she went on to fix homemade Mac n cheese... Without. The. Box.  It also taught me the lesson to never assume that a woman who has raised 3 boys wouldn't know what Mac n cheese is or not know how to fix it.
She wasn't disrespectful. She just knew her Mac n cheese- And I'm glad she knew her Mac n cheese because it was always so much better than what I would have put on the table.
She always had a way of helping me feel better just by being around her.  I miss her greatly. She never tried to get a "jab" in to remind me of my short-comings or past mistakes.  I didn't have to be "politically correct", she let me be who I am, loved me anyway and knew I didn't always have everything "straight". She accepted everyone for who they were. She loved people and genuinely cared for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment